Sunday, March 07, 2010

War and Peace, chapter 2

Bright and early the following Monday morning (too early, really, I only got four hours of sleep!), with visions of glowing young women in my head, I got up and headed back to the drop off point and formally delivered the truck to the new owners. I then drove my car back to a nearby Panera Bread restaurant, where I had a bagel and cup of coffee, and called in to headquarters to report the truck delivered and to see if they had anything for me.

I was instructed to call our Georgia office, and on doing so was offered a truck in Atlanta to be delivered to Charleston, SC. As it was the only thing nearby, I took it, and drove over to the address supplied (which was about fifteen miles away). On arrival, I found I was going to be driving my first semi tractor, a big red Freightliner with a sleeper cab. Hooking up the lights was interesting, as this truck (and, as I learned, most if not all semis) had sealed tailights that wouldn't take my taplights.

So I spliced the wires to my wiring rig, and after a bit of effort was good to go. Here's the truck with my car behind:




This was the first truck I drove with a low/high range 10-speed manual transmission. Yikes! The way that works is that it's got a five-speed shifter (plus reverse, of course) and a low/high-range switch. If you've ever ridden a 10-speed bicycle, it's the same idea. These transmissions aren't synchronized like car manual transmissions, either, so shifting is more of a matter of matching up the engine speed to the transmission speed, or else you grind gears and miss shifts, etc. Embarrassing! I found accelerating to be no serious problem, but with this truck and the next several with the same transmission, I found downshifting EXTREMELY difficult!

Anyway, by the time I was ready to leave, it was obvious to me that I wasn't going to get to Charleston before 5pm (when the delivery location closed), so I called my contact and told him I wouldn't be in town before 8pm and suggested perhaps I should make the delivery in the morning when they reopened. He was very happy with that suggestion, as he lived a half-hour away and didn't really want to come back into work that evening. That suited me just fine as well, because it meant I could sleep in the sleeper cab instead of paying for a motel room!

So I got out on the Interstate, headed for South Carolina, and as the miles accumulated, I started realizing that four hours sleep wasn't working too well for me. Fortunately about that time I reached a rest area, so I pulled in and took a nice long refreshing nap!

The rest of the trip down to Charleston was uneventful, fortunately, and I got into the area around 9pm, found a truck stop and parked for the night, grabbed a burger and then went back and unrolled my sleeping bag in the sleeper cab. It was really quite nice and I slept really well all night, getting up early enough to drive the truck to the delivery point and dropping it off with no issues.

1 comment:

KimonoSkunk said...

Heyas Tim,
Kimmyskunk here from the Yahoo Driveaways group here.
Reading your postings here are great reads and very entertaining.

I was surprised that you drove your first semi, Congrats my friend, you did it.

I have been driving semis for 4 years and they are all different in shifting patterns, but the ten and fifteen and eighteen speeds are basically the same.

Some shift better when you wind the engines way out past 2 grand like Mack Tri axle dumps, or Volvos and some Internationals that are finiky to rev right.

If you need any tips on driving, just look me up in the driveraway groups, ill be more than happy to give advice.
Bows,
Kimmyskunk